Tips for Maintaining Healthy Skin
The importance of having healthy skin cannot be understated. After all, your skin is your largest organ and has several functions essential to maintaining the overall health of your body. Your skin's three main functions are:
- To act as a barrier by providing protection from the external environment
- To regulate body temperature, circulation and fluid balance
- To alert you to sensations such as heat, cold, pain and touch
Interestingly enough, November is National Healthy Skin Month and it’s sponsored by the American Academy of Dermatology. It is a public health campaign that aims to raise awareness about the importance of healthy skin. In the spirit of this important campaign, here are a few tips that will help you maintain healthy skin all year long.
Treat Your Skin Gently
Your skin is your first line of defense against the environment around you. Daily bathing can take a toll on your skin. Treat your skin gently by doing the following:
- Limit bathing time and resist the urge to use hot water. Long baths or showers and hot water strip essential oils from your skin, leaving it dry. It's best to take quick showers or baths while using warm, not hot, water.
- Use mild cleansers rather than harsh soaps. Strong soaps can strip oils from the skin and leave a residue that further dries your skin.
- Moisturize your skin daily to avoid painfully dry, cracked and chapped skin. Using lotion after showering or bathing is a great way to keep your skin moisturized throughout the day.
- Wash your face promptly after exercising to remove sweat, dead skin cells and other particles that are damaging to your skin.
Protect Your Skin From the Sun
While sunshine is known for promoting elevated moods and is essential for sustaining all life on earth, it can be very damaging to your skin. Therefore, you must protect your skin by wearing sunscreen when you’re outside. In the winter months, you should wear sunscreen on your face - the Sun damages even during the winter months.
Examine Your Skin Regularly
Take a few minutes to regularly examine your skin. You should look for changes such as new or unusual spots, moles that have an irregular border or have changed in size or shape. Also, check for any areas that are itchy, red or bleeding. Any changes you notice in your skin could signal serious concerns and will warrant a visit to a dermatology consultant to rule out or diagnose any suspected problems.
Visit Your Dermatologist
Good skincare is dependent on the products you use to cleanse, moisturize and maintain your skin. You must know your skin type before you can choose the right products for your skin. We, at Dermatology Consultants of Frisco, have the knowledge and experience to properly determine your skin type and recommend the right skincare products for it. Not only will a visit to your dermatologist allow you to make informed decisions regarding your skincare, but our DFW dermatology services will also benefit you by giving you a better understanding of future skin problems before they arise.
DCF offers comprehensive dermatology services all in one location. We have a highly trained team that prides itself on the care given to their clients. When you call DCF, you can rest assured your skin health is our priority. DCF can help you make every month Healthy Skin Month.